Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Meteorologists and Interpreters

Howdy, Marci's crew, it's Heather. Marci and I are doing a little switchablogarooney today, in honor of April Fool's Day! She's writing for me and I'm writing for her. So get your glasses adjusted cause you know I talk a lot. You can read her post here on my blog.

Talking a lot comes in handy in my job, where I get paid to drive around and talk to people about diseases of the bum all day long. I like it, but after listening to the weather lady on the radio tonight, I kinda wish I'd chosen a different career path.

She said, and I quote "tomorrow's high will be 58 with a low of 63. No, excuse me, 44. No, 55." Seriously, by the end there she was just shouting out numbers. Who knows what she was trying to say, and it wouldn't matter anyway! Being the weather person is an awesome job. You never have to be Right, you can just be Close to Right, and people are OK with it.

Kind of like being an interpreter. Wouldn't that be awesome? What if you learned like 70% of a language, and then got a sweet gig working as an interpreter for some international company. You could seriously wreak some havoc! Cause who's going to know? It's not like the two parties would know the difference, they can't speak the same language. They've hired you to interpret. So interpret away!

"The client would like to sign a five year contract, but they insist on a $25,000 bonus paid at signing to the interpreter."

So yeah, in hindsight, I could totally see myself as a weather girl. Or an interpreter. The ship has sailed on my career path, but for you younguns, you take my advice to heart. And if you're like me, and find yourself in college without a blinking clue what to do with your life, choose weather girl. Or interpreter. Or you might just end up a sales rep, driving around chit-chatting with people about medicine all day.

Eh, things could be worse.

To read Marci's post, head over here!!

Heather

3 comments:

  1. Great idea for April Fools! And may I say that yes I have often said I wish I would have become a weather girl!

    Great minds think alike...or at least Heathers do! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always thought it would be kinda cool to be an interpreter. Or a superhero who can be invisible. Meh, whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!! That was totally funny and random!

    ReplyDelete

Other's musings...