Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Facebook Frenzy

So this Facebook frenzy is crazy, right? It seems to be spreading like wildfire even more now, as I'm adding anywhere from 3-10 friends a day. New people joining to see what all the fuss is about.

Parents of my high school friends are joining, which is pretty fun. I keep telling my mom she needs to get on there...MOM, JOIN FACEBOOK!

It's free and you can quit at any time. Well, so you think. It's actually a little like crack-cocaine in it's addictive qualities.

When you first join, you'll find yourself spending WAY too much time "playing" around on the site. Don't worry, the initial addiction wears off after a couple weeks or so. For most, anyway. I've only heard of one FB intervention so far.

I experienced a FB faux pas a while back. I was searching for a 1st grade friend of mine who shared my bday and we were inseparable. Then we moved to Dunlap and we didn't see each other again.

I found her name on FB...about 30 of them! I picked one I thought was her and "invited" her to be my friend. She wrote this snotty message back, "Do I even know you?"

Obviously it wasn't my friend. I was embarrassed and I didn't appreciate her snotty tone. Okay, so you can't really hear the tone in emails, but I sensed it, let me tell you, and it was definitely unkind.

Jeff heard that FB is now one of the top 5 most-visited websites. I read an article about how FB is responsible for breaking up some marriages, as old flames "reunite" on FB. That's sad.

I would think that FB makes cyberstalking a lot easier, too, which can be scary.

Who "invented" this FB phenomenon, anyway? I wonder if they had an inkling just how popular it would become?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Other's musings...